All of these forces have been identified by the World Economic Forum (WEF) as amongst the most significant risks facing humanity. In what should be a time of great opportunity, people from all walks of life and all corners of the globe are increasingly disconnected – disconnected from themselves, from others and from the natural environment. Far too many suffer from a lack of confidence; a lack of physical activity and time in nature, and a lack of foundational “life skills” that lead to employability, to the development of positive well-being, and the ability to achieve one’s full potential.
Outward Bound Trust in the UK
Outward Bound is uniquely positioned to address these pressing needs given our long history, global scope, and capacity to engage at multiple levels – local, regional and global.
Outward Bound's innovative "outdoor learning" approach directly addresses the global risks identified by the WEF through the offer of "a broader space for learning.” Our empowering educational programs allow participants to spend immersive time in nature in order to establish greater connections to themselves, to others, and to the natural world, and to build their personal and social resilience.
Building Back - Click to View and Download
We will reduce our impact through careful measurement and analysis, behavioural change, and innovative practice in the following areas:
- Education: Strengthen participants’ understanding of and connection to themselves, each other, and the natural world. Empower students towards positive behavioural change.
- Field operations: Evolve our “tread lightly” principles to ensure our field operations are environmentally and culturally sustainable
- Carbon: Reduce and where possible offset carbon emissions.
- Energy: Explore opportunities for energy efficiency and reduce overall consumption across operations.
- Waste: Reduce, re-use and re-cycle as much waste material as possible across our operations. Look to integrate circular economy principles where possible.
- Water: Conserve water and adopt geographically-appropriate/ responsible methods of waste water discharge.
- Supply chains: Work with our partners and suppliers to help us achieve the above goals, and to promote sustainable practice in relation to their operations.
Outward Bound International. Enabling students to survive, thrive, and contribute positively to a challenging and rapidly changing world
Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound - OB USA